Monday, January 3, 2011

Hello, Classmates!

Hiya! I am really excited to take this course. I am starting to tiptoe towards the full MS in CSE program, but I work full time so it'll have to be in bits and pieces. Did I mention how excited I was? ;->

Things not great in terms of funding in California, so I haven't been able to really engage in much professional development unless I pay for it myself. I've earned a certificate in online teaching from UCLA (I think I was the last individual to earn it as they require you to bring your own cohort now), but honestly, this field changes so quickly that I feel the need to just keep going. I really enjoy learning new things, and I feel as though it helps my students in the long run as well.

Okay, so I never really made it back to disscuss Tapscott. One idea that really appeals to me is open source and how it is going to change the way many institutions are structured. Rather than an inflexible, top-down heirarchy, open source encourages ideas and innovations from the folks in the trenches (bottom up rather than top down). Can anyone see this happening in education at all?

I think it's a natural offshoot of Peter Elbow's "teacherless classroom" (yes, I'm dating myself) which is more like our "guide on the side" taken to extremes. (He supposedly taught a graduate seminar without ever identifying himself as the instructor, making the students teach themselves while he was there to keep things on track).

I'm really excited about this class and also about another one I want to take later--"Big Thinkers"--has anyone taken that one yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment