Monday, January 10, 2011

Using Blogs as a Teaching Tool?

I really like the idea of a blog focused on a specific project. I think they could be used to really wonderful effect in the classroom. Right now I am thinking about having the students in my first year writing course blog about their writing process, what they are learning about doing research, citation, plagiarism, etc. and giving them points toward participation for completing those posts. My concern is keeping up with them all, but if I don't overdo the number of required posts and set some time aside to look at all of them in one sitting (one class per sitting), I should be all right. The idea would be that at the end of the term they can look back and remember all the things they have done and learned. If they want their friends and family to see what they are up to, they can just point them to the blog.

I love the idea of having a blog to keep the parents in touch with what's happening in their classrooms, but I teach college-aged students and adult students, so that kind of application isn't of value to me personally. I do, however, think I might begin a blog that reviews or explains the great books I've come across while homeschooling my daughter. I'm sure there are lots of those blags out there already, but this way when someone asks me "What did you use for..." I can just send them to the blog.

Also, if I ever get to teach Creative Writing again, what a great way to brainstorm ideas or set up readings! It would be terrific to list all the writer's events taking place locally, too.

To add to the "if I ever get the chance" list, I think I could do a great blog on a historical or literary "road trip."

I've signed up for all the rss feeds, but is that just the link to other blogs or does it inform you when there are new posts? So far I'm not getting any messages, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place...

3 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of students keeping track of their progress in you writing class. I think it is a great way for them to reflect and see their own growth throughout the course of the class! It is fun to see where you started and where you ended up! :)

    I also think it is a great way to keep parents updated with that is going on in the classroom. I am sure it will save the teacher quite a bit of time answering commonly asked questions! :P I didn't even think about that so thanks for the idea!

    As far as the RSS feeds go, it informs you when new posts are made so that you don't have to check every blog every single day! :) You should have set up a reader...I have the Google reader because I have a gmail account and all the updates are in there :) You can organize it how you wish as well! Makes life quite simple!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tori, look at that! I already had a reader and didn't even know about it--thanks! That's a huge help!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a high school setting for example, it is a great idea to keep parents involved in their child’s education. Blogs are a great way to invite parents into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete